OMAHA — Creighton (2-4) used a third-quarter run to take down Nebraska (2-5) 74-65 for the third straight year Sunday afternoon at D.J. Sokol Arena.

Nebraska only made two three-pointers in the contest, finishing 2-for-22 from beyond the arc.

“They really came out and put it at us in the second half,” Nebraska coach Amy Williams said. “It’s disappointing and we’re going to have to figure it out and get back to the drawing board.”

The run Williams was referring to was a 13-0 stretch that flipped the script on Creighton’s 28-27 halftime deficit.

Audrey Faber had five points in the run that gave the Bluejays a 40-30 lead with 5 minutes, 12 seconds left in the third quarter.

“For her to get 18 points without making a three is a credit to her toughness to go inside and get points inside,” Bluejay coach Jim Flanery said.

Nebraska’s hole got deeper as Taylor Kissinger and Maddie Simon each picked up their fourth fouls in the last two minutes of the third quarter.

Foul trouble was something the Huskers had to deal with all afternoon and Williams said it really hamstrung Nebraska the entire game.

Hannah Whitish picked up two early fouls, as well, for Nebraska and didn’t recover offensively the rest of the game.

“Foul trouble was just an issue from beginning to end,” Williams said. “That was a big factor in some lineups we were having to go with, which was having us out of system and rhythm. We need to find a way to guard without fouling.”

Despite the 13-0 run, Nebraska was able to stop the bleeding.

Sam Haiby made a jumper, a pair of free throws and banked in a contested three-pointer at the third-quarter buzzer to cut the Bluejay lead to 48-40.

Haiby had a big day for Nebraska, scoring 17 points and grabbing five rebounds.

Creighton managed to weather the Husker push, however, as the Bluejays' lead never got to be less than five in the final 10 minutes.

When Nebraska cut the Bluejay lead to 62-57 with 3:16 left, Flanery called a timeout.

Creighton got a layup from Faber out of the timeout and forced a Simon turnover on the other end. That sequence separated the Bluejays for good.

Whitish missed several good looks from behind the arc in the final quarter. She went 1-for-10 from the field on the afternoon and 1-for-8 from three.

“We dodged some bullets,” Flanery said. “We gave Hannah some shots she should make. We were comfortable giving up some of those shots to some people, but we were not comfortable with the number of good looks she had.”

The Husker comeback fell short in the final minute, as they couldn’t make a bucket and missed two free throws to cut the Creighton lead to four on two different occasions.

Nebraska will play at Pinnacle Bank Arena at 7 p.m. on Wednesday against Kansas.


Load comments