Nebraska sophomore running back Maurice Washington appeared in his California court case by phone from his Lincoln attorney's office Monday and now is set to enter a plea on charges filed under that state's "revenge porn" law.
Attorney John Ball said the primary purpose of the hearing was to move the case to June 12, "in order to give us time to complete discovery and continue our discussions regarding possible alternative dispositions."
The Santa Clara County Superior Courts website listed it as a plea hearing.
"As always, Mr. Washington is cooperating fully in this matter, and hopes for a just and speedy result," Ball said.
The Santa Clara Public Defender's Office was appointed as local counsel in the case, since Ball doesn't practice law in California.
In February, an arrest warrant was filed for Washington after prosecutors there charged him with a misdemeanor under the "revenge porn" law and with a felony child porn charge for allegedly sending his ex-girlfriend, then 17, a 10-second video of her being sexually assaulted by two other teenage boys.
You have free articles remaining.
Washington is not in the video and didn't record it, according to investigators.
The teenager's mother reported it to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office on March 2, 2018, after seeing the video on her daughter's phone.
Washington participated in Nebraska’s spring football drills on a limited basis, according to coach Scott Frost, and did not take part in the Red-White Spring Game in April.
"Overall, I think Maurice has done a good job of trying to stick to the norm and what practice he has done he’s looked good,” Frost said last month.
Frost has said NU will let the legal process play out before making any decisions on Washington’s status with the team going forward.