Akron vs. Nebraska, college football, 9.1.18

Butch Hug, Nebraska's associate AD for events, signals to the referee after lightning was reported in the area just after kickoff of the Nebraska-Akron game Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

A fast-developing line of thunderstorms caught decision-makers at Memorial Stadium off guard Saturday night and slammed shut what they thought to be a three-hour window to play Nebraska football's season-opener against Akron. 

NU deputy athletic director Bob Burton said that window was among the reasons the school did not push for the game, which became the first in the school's history to be canceled by weather, to start earlier Saturday.

"During the week and even on Saturday, we thought we had a three-hour window to get the game in," said Burton, who is athletic director Bill Moos' chief of staff and his liaison to the football department. "There was a bigger cell behind it, and we didn't know that that thing was going to stall out the way it did."

Weather models also showed a window between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday. Husker officials wanted to explore moving the game to there, but Akron athletic director Larry Williams told Moos that his school could not make that work.

"We were discussing the challenges, but we felt that we could definitely have had a game (Sunday),' Burton told the Journal Star. "We knew the option of Akron during (NU's open date Oct. 27) did not work because Akron plays Central Michigan," Burton said. "We knew that, so as we were working last night, we were discussing playing the game Sunday morning. And Akron did not want to do that."

In a statement Sunday evening, Akron athletic director Larry Williams said his team could not have made an overnight stay work without, among other challenges, spreading it out around several lodging options in the area because they had originally planned on flying home Saturday night. He said that arrangement "is not in the best interests of our team and student-athletes."

Burton said his people helped determine the accommodations the Zips would have needed on short notice.

"We were working on that, but Bill came back from the meeting with (Williams) and said, 'We're not playing the game tomorrow,'" Burton recalled.

Akron's charter flight took off from the Lincoln airport just before 1 a.m. and landed in Ohio around 3:45 a.m. EST and Williams expressed skepticism that a Sunday restart would have happened even Akron stayed. 

"Thunderstorms were anticipated throughout the Lincoln area on Sunday, making even the opportunity to play very questionable," his statement said.

Williams gave the most direct information about a potential makeup game in December, saying, "The University of Akron and The University of Nebraska are in discussions to make up the game in Week 14 of the college football season should either team need the game to become bowl eligible."

Moos' statement encourages fans to hold onto their ticket from Saturday in case the school finds room for a 12th game somewhere between now and the end of the season. Burton confirmed that, at this time, NU is not reimbursing ticket-holders.

Burton also said there's been no final decision on whether Akron will be paid any or all of the $1.17 million called for in the game contract between the schools. 

"I think that's to be determined," Burton said. ... "Again, I wasn't in the discussion. All I know is that when they went down to play the game on Sunday, (Akron) opted out of playing the game." 

As Saturday evening progressed, thunderstorms in the area just would not relent. NU associate athletic director for events Butch Hug said the 30-minute clock that restarted after each lightning strike within an eight-mile radius never even progressed 10 minutes without starting over and at one point there were more than 1,500 strikes within a 15-mile radius.

Hug said he couldn't remember ever seeing a higher density of strikes than that.

Burton's assertion that the Huskers thought they could pull off a Sunday game on short notice is notable because Hug said somewhere between 3,300 and 3,500 people are working in Memorial Stadium on any given home game day before the gates open.

As for potentially starting the game earlier Saturday, Hug reinforced Burton's assertion that officials were caught off guard at how fast conditions deteriorated around kickoff. The potential for storms existed all week, but not with the certainty that built through Saturday afternoon. 

"Obviously there was some knowledge that there was some potential for some delays, but I don’t know that anybody really ever forecasted, ‘Hey, it’s going to come this quick,’" Hug said. “Then it becomes television and the conference who are ultimately going to make that decision.”

Hug, of course, was the one tasked with making the decision to halt the game. He ran out onto the field at 7:15 p.m., just after kickoff, after spotting a lightning strike within the eight-mile radius. The Husker offense had just taken the field but had not yet run a play, and the first-quarter game clock had not moved off of 15:00. 

That left the department veteran in an unenviable position as the guy that had to decide to stop Scott Frost's first game at Nebraska before the heralded coach called even a single play.

But the radar screen and Mother Nature left Hug no choice and, given the extensive nature of the storms, there's no way an evening game could have been completed by dawn. 

"You get booed by 85,000 people and everybody watching on television," Hug said. "I really didn't lose any sleep over the decision, but I didn't sleep much either." 

Contact the writer at pgabriel@journalstar.com or 402-473-7439. On Twitter @HuskerExtraPG.


Sports writer

Parker joined the Journal Star as the University of Nebraska football beat writer in August 2017. He previously covered Montana State athletics for the Bozeman Daily Chronicle and graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 2012.

Load comments