{{featured_button_text}}
NU football vs. Minnesota, 10/20/18

Nebraska Maurice Washington (28) rushes to the three-yard line against Minnesota's Winston DeLattiboudere (46) in the second quarter at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018.

Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos on Tuesday made the first public comments regarding running back Maurice Washington's legal problems that came to light Monday. 

Washington is facing charges in California under the state's "revenge porn" law, in addition to a child pornography charge, for allegedly sending his former girlfriend a video of her being sexually assaulted. 

Washington allegedly sent the years-old video to the woman in March after she sent him a message on social media.

"Obviously, we’re looking into it in every way that we can, but it’s a legal matter," Moos said during his monthly appearance on the "Husker Sports Nightly" radio program. "We want to make sure that Maurice is cooperating, which he is. We also want to make sure that he knows that he has a great deal of support.

"Then, really, the legal system kind of guides it from here on out."

The athletic department issued a statement Monday after charges were filed in a California court, NBC Bay Area published an extensive story about the situation and ensuing reporting followed with details, including comments from Washington's Lincoln-based attorney, John C. Ball. 

The statement from NU acknowledged that the Nebraska Attorney General's office and university police contacted the athletic department last fall in relation to California officials wanting to interview Washington, but that no details were provided and there was no follow-up from investigators. 

Moos on Tuesday echoed that statement when asked about the August inquiry.  

"We were inquisitive but there wasn’t a lot of conversation that went any further than, ‘We have a concern about something that happened in California and we’ll keep you informed,'" he said. "That’s just kind of how it panned out."

Dawson "loved Nebraska": Moos also commented on the departure of Husker defensive line coach Mike Dawson, who left the school to coach outside linebackers for the New York Giants. 

"He's from the East Coast and he's going with the New York Giants, had coached (three) years with the Philadelphia Eagles, so when you start talking about time zones and where your family is and where your friends are — and also that pension and retirement setup in the NFL — you've got to think twice about it.

"I know that he really loved Nebraska, but we're going to see more and more of this as we continue to succeed. You hate to see the gang broken up, but you certainly have to understand." 

Moos said he's very confident head coach Scott Frost will find a good fit as a replacement. 

"There will be some talented coaches really looking hard at this opportunity," he added. 

Spring game sellout "amazing": Moos said the Red-White Spring Game selling out for a second straight year would be unthinkable most places, but, "That's Nebraska." 

"That's amazing. I keep telling my friends and peers, and they just can't believe it," Moos said. 

The scrimmage is set for 1 p.m. April 13 at Memorial Stadium and will be broadcast on BTN. 

"I think (fans) respect how hard they're playing and they want to see some of the new star power," Moos said. "I think we have eight early enrollees that are pretty good players and our fans are going to want to see what that looks like." 

Contact the writer at pgabriel@journalstar.com or 402-473-7439. On Twitter @HuskerExtraPG.

0
0
0
0
0

Sports writer

Parker joined the Journal Star as the University of Nebraska football beat writer in August 2017. He previously covered Montana State athletics for the Bozeman Daily Chronicle and graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 2012.

Load comments