Subscribe for 33¢ / day

Brady Danielson made the comeback possible, and then Reid Hoffmann provided the finishing touches.

The two helped spark an improbable comeback, giving York its first state basketball championship since 1944 as the Dukes completed the rare football-basketball double. York defeated Skutt in the football title game last November.

Danielson scored 15 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter as York rallied from a nine-point deficit. Then, Hoffmann scored all 10 of his points in the two overtime periods in the second-ranked Dukes' 61-56 victory over No. 1 Omaha Skutt on Saturday for the Class B championship at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

"My teammates put me in great spots and my coaches put me in great spots to score and they found me and I got easy buckets," said Danielson, who scored York's final 12 points of the fourth period before fouling out in the second overtime period.

Actually, it was a miss at the free-throw line by the junior that got things started. Trailing 40-31 with 1:22 left in regulation, Danielson rebounded his miss, dropped back and nailed a three-pointer. He drove for another hoop and then got a three-point play after the Dukes' press forced a Skutt turnover.

"I knew it (the free throw) was short right when I shot it but then I saw it tip out and it just went right to me. No one was on me and I just decided to shoot it. Luckily, it went in," said Danielson. "That three gave us a lot of momentum and our defensive intensity went up.

"We had our hands in the passing lanes and we started to get steals and I could start to feel that we were getting in a groove again."

Skutt made three free throws to take a 43-39 lead with 33 seconds left, but Danielson hit a pair of free throws and after York forced another turnover, he tied the game with two more at the line.

"The kids got comfortable with how Skutt was going to break the press and they just amped up their pressure," said coach Scott Lamberty, whose Dukes forced five Skutt turnovers between the fourth quarter and two overtimes.

"They stripped us one time and scored right under the basket," said Skutt coach Kyle Jurgens. "Maybe even the biggest one was when we got it into Jackson (Gordon), who's one of, if not our best, free-throw shooter and they trapped him. I think he expected more contact than he got and kind of fell over. That was a big play and it led to the two free throws that tied it in regulation.

"Another huge play was the offensive rebound on the missed free throw that turns into him making the three. This was just a heck of a game."

Hoffmann's three-pointer in the first overtime gave York its first lead of the game at 48-46, but T.J. Skradski and Jackson Gordon each made a free throw to force another overtime.

This time, a Jeb Lucas three-pointer put York on top for good and Hoffmann added two drives to the hoop and three free throws to build a 60-53 lead with just under a minute to play.

"In the first half, I couldn't buy a bucket. I guess I couldn't buy one in the second half, either. Once I hit one, I got in a groove. I just got going," said Hoffmann, who was 0-for-6 during regulation but a perfect 3-for-3 from the field and at the line in the overtime periods.

Garrett Snodgrass had 13 points for York and Lucas added 11. Tyson Gordon and Jacob Kudron led Skutt with 15 points apiece and Austin Ash had 10.