OMAHA - The top women's flat track roller derby leagues in the world will compete for the sport's top honors in September and October in the 2015 International Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) Division 1 Playoffs.
Representing the best of the best in women's roller derby, 10 of the 40 playoffs qualifiers -- including the No Coast Derby Girls from Lincoln -- will compete in Omaha, Oct. 2-4 in one of four international playoff tournaments for the division. The Omaha Rollergirls were selected through a competitive bid process to host one of the seven WFTDA tournaments this year.
Marking its 10th year of pushing the sport's athleticism and competition to new heights, the International WFTDA Playoffs and Championships bring together the most talented, highly trained skaters and teams from WFTDA member leagues.
"Omaha Rollergirls are ecstatic to host the WFTDA Tournament. We have teams coming from all over the world - including Helsinki and Canada - and we hope to provide them an enjoyable experience here in Omaha. These athletes are the highest caliber of derby athletes and are role models to many of our skaters. It will be extremely fun to see them in action here at the Ralston Arena." - Sharon Misery #101 (Sharon Misery has skated 9-years with the Omaha Rollergirls, and plans to make it 10-years)
The WFTDA has announced the competitors for this year's international Playoffs in Omaha. Teams ranked in the top 40 in the world that have met minimum eligibility requirements were split between the four Playoffs brackets using "S-curve" seeding, similar to what is used for the NCAA basketball tournaments. Ten of these teams will compete at Ralston Arena Oct. 2-4 in hopes of finishing in the top three and advancing to compete at the WFTDA Championships, Nov. 6-8.
1. Gotham Girls Roller Derby, New York, New York
2. Angel City Derby Girls, Los Angles, California
3. Minnesota RollerGirls, Saint Paul, Minnesota
4. Montreal Roller Derby, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5. Windy City Rollers, Chicago, Illinois
6. Boston Derby Dames, Boston, Massachusetts
7. Helsinki Roller Derby, Helsinki, Finland
8. Toronto Roller Derby, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
9. Queen City Roller Girls, Buffalo, New York
10. No Coast Derby Girls, Lincoln, Nebraska