Athletes and female sports advocates were honored Feb. 7 at the 22nd annual Girls and Women in Sports and Fitness event at the Nebraska Champions Club, 707 Stadium Drive.
Girls and women honored at this year's event included:
• Star City Sports Youth Athletes of the Year – Caelyn Christiancy, Lincoln Southwest; and Rachel Weber, Lincoln East;
• Andrea Kabourek Courage Award – Madi Muma, Lincoln East;
• Barbara Hibner Mentor Award – Marcia Motz;
• Carmel Sheppard Spirit Award – Joline Weart;
• Anne Campbell Pioneer Award – Dorothy Schwartzkopf; and
• Ambassador Award – Nancy Myers.
In addition, former L Magazine and Lincoln Journal Star sports editor John Mabry and retired Neighborhood Extra and Star City Sports editor Dennis Buckley received Outstanding Advocate awards. Mabry has been active on the local Girls & Women in Sports & Fitness (GWSF) Committee for 10 years and currently co-chairs the committee with Katie Pfannenstiel.
Buckley was involved with GWSF as Star City Sports editor from 2001 through his recent retirement on Feb. 9.
“My predecessor, Gary Vacin, was affiliated with GWSF since its inception in 1997, so the torch was passed and I ran with it for 18 years,” Buckley said.
Buckley emceed several evening GWSF programs in a reception room at the Devaney Sports Center in conjunction with Husker women’s basketball games.