The Star City Optimist Youth Foundation, which comprises Lincoln’s five Optimist clubs, will host five local Tri-Star Football Punt, Pass and Kick contests for boys and girls who are ages 6-15 as of Dec. 31, 2018. They will be judged on both distance and accuracy.
Contestants, who may participate in only one of these qualifiers, may compete either:
• Sunday, Sept. 9, 5:30-7 p.m. at Kahoa Elementary School, 7700 Leighton Ave.;
• Monday, Sept. 10, 5:30-7 p.m. at Roper Elementary, 2323 S. Coddington Ave.;
• Tuesday, Sept. 11, 5:30-7 p.m. at Humann Elementary, 6401 Beaver Creek Ln.;
• Wednesday, Sept. 12, 5:30-7 p.m. at Maxey Elementary, 5200 S. 75th St.; or
• Thursday, Sept. 13, 5:30-7 p.m. at Fredstrom Elementary, N.W. 10th and W. Harvest Dr.
Contestants may register at the site for this free event. As per Nebraska School Activities Association rules, athletes participating in inter-school football competition during the fall are not eligible to compete in these local contests. The top five boy and five girl scorers in each of the 10 age categories will earn awards and advance to Optimist state competition at Nebraska Wesleyan University’s Abel Stadium on Sunday Oct. 14.
For more details, contact Bob Grundman at 402-489-9171 or go to www.starcityoptimists.org.