1869: Gov. David Butler's message to the Legislature included proposals for construction of an insane asylum, penitentiary and governor's mansion within two years.
1879: Members of the Legislature were receiving petitions for a prohibition law from practically every county in the state.
1889: Charles F. Manderson was elected to the U.S. Senate by Nebraska Republicans in caucus assembly.
1899:William A. Poynter of the Fusion Party (Populists and Democrats) was inaugurated governor.
1909: Nebraska presidential electors cast their votes for William Jennings Bryan for president.
1919: The Legislature passed H.R. No. 1 ratifying a national prohibition amendment.
1929: Gov. Arthur J. Weaver nominated Harry W. Scott as state tax commissioner, an office carrying a $5,000 salary. The nomination was approved by the state Senate.
1939: With four months gone in the fiscal year, the city of Lincoln had collected 56 percent of its taxes - the highest total since 1932. In 1933, the low point of the Depression, only 49 percent of the tax had been collected at four months.
1949: Lincoln's long-proposed civic auditorium moved one step nearer realization as American Legion Post 3 adopted a resolution to circulate petitions for an initiative vote on a proposal to issue $1 million more in bonds for the structure.
1959: Bills calling for a $1 per hour minimum wage in Nebraska and fair employment practices were among the first introduced at the 69th session of the Legislature.
1969: The Legislature elected Sen. Jerome Warner of Waverly as speaker. His father, Sen. Charles Warner, had served in the same post in the first unicameral government in 1937.
1979: Legislation was introduced to prohibit railroad transportation safety districts from financing the building of railroad tracks in residential areas.
1989: Former Nebraska Gov. Bob Kerrey was sworn in for a sixyear term in the Senate.
1999: Bill Byrne's new contract guaranteed that the Nebraska athletic director would earn $200,000 a year.
Lincoln Public Schools was considering two new high schools: one south, near 14th Street and Pine Lake Road, and one north, near 33rd Street and Fletcher Avenue.