{{featured_button_text}}

1869: The organization that ultimately became the Lancaster County Medical Society was organized at a meeting in Lincoln.

1879: The new Catholic Church at Dawson was virtually destroyed by a tornado during church services, but only one person was injured.

1889: A quarter of a block at 26th and N streets sold for $6,000.

More than 100 names were added to the membership of the Lincoln Board of Trade roster, and $10,000 was raised to pay off debts and send a representative to advertise Lincoln. The Board of Trade later became the Chamber of Commerce.

1899: Lincoln glass dealers received heavy orders from western towns that were hit by a heavy hailstorm.

The city decided to post the names of its streets at intersections.

1909: City engineers insisted that brick for paving be submitted to a rigorous test.

Pilgrimages of thirsty people from Lincoln to Havelock, where saloons were open, added to the receipts of the streetcars.

1919: "Nebraska's Own," the 355th Infantry Regiment of the 89th Division, was welcomed home wildly in Lincoln and the rest of the state upon its return from Europe.

1929: Attorney General C.A. Sorenson said the fact that an alien could not teach in Nebraska was one of the "many unpalatable products of the recent war."

1939: With the droughts of 1934 and 1936 still in mind, federal farm officials told Nebraskans they were uneasy about a shortage of moisture in a broad area of Midwestern wheat and corn lands.

1949: The Legislature adjourned after passing 318 bills in 100 days.

Several weeks without moisture began to worry Nebraskans, but a sudden storm that dumped 1 to 4 inches of rain on portions of the state eased their minds.

1959: The state Highway Commission voted 5-2 in a secret ballot to locate the interstate highway north of the Platte River between Grand Island and North Platte.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

1969: The state Board of Education voted 5-3 to discharge Commissioner Floyd Miller. The action was one chapter in a long dispute between some rural- and smallschool-oriented board members and Miller.

Gov. Norbert Tiemann vetoed a "self-defense" bill that would have allowed a person to use "any means necessary" to protect himself or his property.

1979: A test case alleging truancy against a Mennonite seventh-grader for failing to attend an accredited school was delayed. Seward County officials said attorneys on both sides agreed to the continuance, with the stipulation that Faith Christian School "make every effort to become accredited."

Several grocery stores in Lincoln were offering bread for 15 cents a loaf in a "bread war."

1989: About 50,000 people visited the Moving Wall, an aluminum half-scale traveling version of the Vietnam War Memorial. Set up in Antelope Park, the replica included the names of 393 Nebraskans from all branches of the military.

1999: Lincoln was awaiting the arrival of 20 Kosovar refugees, the first of 80 who would be resettled in Southeast Nebraska. In recent years, refugees had come from Vietnam, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Bosnia, the former Soviet Union and Cuba.

State senators left town after approving more than 300 new laws, including withdrawing Nebraska from a fivestate compact to build a lowlevel radioactive waste storehouse in Boyd County; calling for a state study to determine whether the death penalty had been applied fairly since being reinstated in 1973; restoring $19 million to the school aid formula and promising state aid increases to fill the gap when property tax levies drop in 2001-02.

 

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments