1869: Lancaster County commissioners approved a proposal by the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad to put the route under contract to Lincoln in return for $50,000 in bonds to be issued upon completion of the road. Voters later accepted this proposal at a bond election.
1879: Newspapers carried extended "confessions" from Stephen Dee Richards, who had been hanged in Minden for murder. He was alleged to have been involved in at least four and possibly as many as 14 slayings.
1889: A group of Lincolnites organized The Lincoln Gentlemen's Trotting Club and drew up a schedule for races to begin at the fairgrounds June 19-20.
1899: A tornado whipped through Saunders County four miles south of Valparaiso and continued north for nine miles. One child was injured, and property damage was reported in the thousands of dollars.
1909: Lincolnites were working to get a new high school but were quarreling over the site and funding. Some suggested rebuilding the Capitol School at 15th and G streets and moving the grade school elsewhere, while others held out for 15th and N streets, where the old high school stood. Lincoln High School eventually was built at 22nd and J streets. Capitol School was razed in the early 1960s and replaced by the McPhee Laboratory School.
1919: The longest session, to date, of Nebraska's Legislature ended with fewer bills passed, but more argument over the legislation.
1929: Gov. Arthur J. Weaver slashed a half-million dollars from the general appropriations bill. He also vetoed the claims and deficiencies bill and allowed the remaining budget to pass without his signature.
1939: Lincoln Mayor Oren Copeland was re-elected for a two-year term by a 2-to-1 margin over Robert Robinson. Council members elected were Henry J. Amen, John G. Aldrich and Arthur W. Weaver Jr.
1949: Two bills supporting Gov. Val Peterson's highway improvement program were advanced in the Legislature. The gasoline tax increase and the highway use stamp bills had no dissent; a bill to increase motor vehicle registration fees was laid over temporarily.
1959: Lincoln kicked up its heels with the biggest parade in the city's history, opening an eight-day celebration of the city's 100th birthday.
1969: The University of Nebraska asked the Legislature's approval of a $101 million two-year budget and what acting Chancellor Merk Hobson called a "drive for excellence."
1979: A trailer containing a 1,000-gallon tank of anhydrous ammonia spilled over at the edge of Hickman. More than a dozen firefighters were on the scene within minutes. There were no injuries.
1989: South Lincoln expansion increased as the City Council approved Williamsburg Village, a combined office, shopping and residential development southwest of 40th Street and Old Cheney Road. The plan included a multi-use shopping center near 27th Street and Pine Lake Road.
1999: After 26 years, W. Cecil Steward, the first and only dean of the University of Nebraska College of Architecture, announced he would retire Dec. 31. His work included being a planner on the Lincoln/Lancaster County Planning Commission and participating in the redesign of Pennsylvania Avenue at the White House.
The University of Nebraska Board of Regents approved $8.9 million in improvements to the 23-year-old Bob Devaney Sports Center, including replacing a leaky roof, two HuskerVision screens, new sound/lighting system and better viewing areas for disabled fans.