For the second consecutive day, Florida announced a record number of new coronavirus cases Friday, adding almost 4,000 reports for a total approaching 90,000.
In Florida and in other states, the pressure is on for local leaders to respond to regional Covid-19 spikes and records, and some are turning to mask mandates.
Eight states are seeing their highest seven-day averages of new coronavirus cases per day since the crisis began, according to a CNN analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University. This data includes new cases reported by JHU through Thursday, June 18.
In addition to Florida, those states are: Arizona, California, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Utah. Read the full story here:
Here's a look at updates from the past 24 hours
- The Oklahoma Supreme Court on Friday rejected a request to require everyone attending President Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa this weekend to wear a face mask and maintain social distancing inside the arena to guard against the spread of the coronavirus.
- California on Thursday started requiring people throughout the state to wear masks in most indoor settings and outdoors when distancing isn't possible as the coronavirus continues to spread. States including Michigan, New York, Maine, Delaware and Maryland already have statewide mask orders in place.
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey’s decision to let local governments mandate face masks in public to slow the spread of the coronavirus amid a surge is leading to a patchwork of requirements around the state — the very thing Ducey wanted to avoid.
- Nevada casinos are now requiring gamblers and spectators to wear protective face coverings at table games that have no barriers. Masks aren’t required of other casino patrons, including slot machine players, but casinos are required to offer and encourage masks.
- AMC Theatres will require all of its customers to wear masks when it reopens its theaters next month, a quick reversal for the world's largest movie theater chain, which said on Thursday guests would be required to wear masks only in areas of the country where masks are mandatory.
- Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts told local governments they will not receive any federal money to help fight the effects of the coronavirus pandemic if they require people to wear masks in public buildings.
For more summaries and full reports, please select from the articles below. Scroll further for more information on face masks as well as maps and charts tracking the virus' spread.
Tips for properly wearing, storing and cleaning your masks
Concerned about COVID-19?
Sign up now to get the most recent coronavirus headlines and other important local and national news sent to your email inbox daily.