Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Lincoln diocese declares fasting day after sex abuse report
0 Comments
editor's pick topical alert top story

Lincoln diocese declares fasting day after sex abuse report

  • Updated
  • 0

After a three-year investigation, the state has identified 258 documented victims of sexual abuse and misconduct by 57 Catholic Church officials, Nebraska Attorney General Doug Peterson said Thursday.

The Catholic Diocese in Lincoln has declared a day of fasting for its priests in response to a report that identified hundreds of cases of church sex abuse in Nebraska since the 1930s.

A message sent to Lincoln-area parishioners said Bishop James Conley proclaimed Friday as a day of fasting and abstinence “in reparation for offenses” highlighted in the report by the Nebraska Attorney General's office.

The message said priests were also to offer “three Masses for the healing of victims." It said fasting allows for one meal and two smaller snacks, and abstention from all meat.

Attorney General Doug Peterson released the report last week, expressing frustration that no accused offenders in the church would face charges because the statute of limitations has passed in the vast majority of cases. In some cases, accused priests have died or their whereabouts are unknown, and in one case, an accuser declined to participate in a prosecution.

Nebraska clergy sex abuse report: 258 victims, 57 predators, no prosecutions
Lincoln bishop reassigns, restricts priests accused of misconduct
Catholic Church loses court fight with Nebraska attorney general, but buys the time it needed
0 Comments
0
0
0
0
8

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News

Husker News