Try 1 month for 99¢

The parents of a 2-year-old girl brought to a hospital emergency room after being exposed to THC at her in-home day care in 2017 have sued the woman they say is responsible.

In the lawsuit filed in Lancaster County District Court, Brian and Danielle Smith of Lincoln alleged that as a result of Michelle Nicklas' negligence, their daughter, Sofia, went to the hospital with acute cannabis intoxication.

They are seeking $8,535 for her medical expenses, plus general damages, according to their attorney, David Kyker.

Lancaster County Sheriff Terry Wagner said on March 27, 2017, a 2-year-old girl was brought to the emergency room at Bryan East Campus by her parents for being sleepy, lethargic and not acting normally. The child tested positive for THC exposure and was admitted to the hospital for observation.

Deputies discovered her day care provider, Nicklas, had baked marijuana brownies over the weekend for a friend's birthday party and used the same pan to bake cookies for day care children.

Nicklas' day care provider's license was revoked; and deputies cited her for misdemeanor child abuse. She later pleaded no contest and on March 16 got a year of probation and 50 hours of community service.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

 

0
0
0
0
0

Reporter

Lori Pilger is a public safety reporter.

Load comments