A 28-year-old Lincoln man who has been in a locked unit at the Lincoln Regional Center for the past eight years for stabbing and killing a friend while high on cough medicine will stay put for now.

But at hearing on Tuesday, Shane Tilley's attorney said he will ask the court next spring for a private evaluation to determine if he remains mentally ill and dangerous and if the regional center is the least restrictive placement available, as his treatment team says.

In 2007, a judge found Tilley not responsible by reason of insanity for the stabbing death of Andy Lubben on Super Bowl Sunday in 2006.

Bleeding from at least one stab wound, Lubben fled Tilley's apartment about noon that day. Tilley followed him outside and stabbed him again -- at least 24 times in all -- and left him to die near some trash bins.

Police found Tilley in his third-floor apartment, naked and gibbering, suffering from apparently self-inflicted knife wounds to his chest and neck.

Doctors originally thought a large amount of Coricidin caused Tilley's psychosis at the time of the stabbing. But Dr. Klaus Hartmann said at a hearing later that Tilley has a schizoaffective disorder diagnosis.

Tilley made headlines again in 2010 when he ran from a supervised walk on the Regional Center campus, leading to a manhunt and ending walks for court-ordered patients.

At annual hearings since, Tilley's treatment team has given the opinion that he continues to be mentally ill and dangerous.

In July, Hartmann told the judge the goal was to ultimately transition Tilley back into the community, but "not right now, given where he finds himself."

He talked about a setback at the July hearing, saying Tilley had given up a job on the cleaning crew and wasn't attending group sessions as often.

Hartmann said he understood Tilley was frustrated, but there was hope of him progressing.

"I was hoping to at least get walks with an ankle bracelet," Tilley told Lancaster County District Judge John Colburn during Tuesday's follow-up hearing.

He testified briefly about his frustration that his treatment team didn't recommend discharge or OK him to go on walks, even when he did everything they asked him to do, including going consistently to group therapy.

After Tilley talked to one of his providers about anxiety symptoms and asked for medication, a note placed in his file said he was seeking addictive medication. He said he was just trying to follow his relapse-prevention plan.

Tilley said he's talked with other patients like him who have a goal of transitioning back into the community.

"Do you see any of those patients leaving?" asked his attorney, Rob Kortus of the Nebraska Commission on Public Advocacy.

No, Tilley answered.

Deputy Lancaster County Attorney Jim Rocke said he could understand why Tilley is frustrated, but he said it is the treatment team's opinion that he's not ready to be out.

He asked the judge to keep things the same for Tilley for now and set a review hearing in July, which Colborn did.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach the writer at 402-473-7237 or lpilger@journalstar.com. On Twitter @LJSpilger.



Lori Pilger is a public safety reporter.

Load comments