Man accused of killing Douglas couple makes first Nebraska court appearance since arrest
topical

Man accused of killing Douglas couple makes first Nebraska court appearance since arrest

{{featured_button_text}}

A man accused of killing two people in Douglas last month appeared in Nebraska court Thursday afternoon for the first time since his arrest.

Brindar Jangir, 36, allegedly shot and killed Annette and Randal Grimes in Douglas on March 23 after stealing a shotgun and a sword from a friend's home in Lincoln while his friend slept.

Randal Grimes, 56, and Annette Grimes, 51, were the parents of a woman Jangir was living with in Sioux City, Iowa, until she moved out March 12, according to court documents. Court records also indicate that Jangir lived in Lincoln for several years before moving to Sioux City in 2017.

He was extradited back to Nebraska on Wednesday from the San Diego County Jail, where he had been held since being arrested March 30 by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents at the Otay Sentri border crossing about 40 miles southeast of San Diego. Jangir was in Mexico and attempting to regain entry into the United States on foot.

On Thursday, Jangir appeared in court via video monitor in Lancaster County, where he has been charged with felony possession of a stolen firearm. 

On Monday, Jangir will appear in court in Otoe County, where he’s charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of use of a weapon to commit a felony.

Jangir's ex-girlfriend, the Grimes' daughter, had taken out a protection order against him March 19, barring him from the Sioux City residence where they had been living.

Investigators believe Jangir arrived unannounced at a friend's house near 70th and Adams streets in Lincoln at about 11 p.m. on March 22.

Jangir had called his friend earlier, telling him about the protection order and that he needed help moving from Sioux City the next day, the affidavit said.

At the house, they were in a room where a Stevens 320 shotgun sat propped against the wall, and Jangir pressed his friend about buying the gun, police said.

Jangir "indicated he wanted it for protection," but the friend declined to sell it to him, police said.

The friend fell asleep at about 3 a.m. and awoke about five hours later to discover Jangir had left and the unsecured shotgun was missing, the affidavit said.

The shootings in Douglas, 30 miles southeast of Lincoln, were reported later that morning. 

Jangir was short with his answers to Lancaster County Court Judge Joseph E. Dalton's questions Thursday and said he understood the charges against him. Dalton set his bond at $250,000. 

Jangir will be assigned a Lancaster County public defender, and his next court appearance in the stolen firearm case is scheduled on May 23.

0
1
0
0
1

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News

Husker News