Cass County investigators have accused the boyfriend of a woman found dead in the woods near Weeping Water in August of helping her commit suicide.

Matthew J. Stubbendieck, 41, of Weeping Water, has been charged with assisted suicide in the death of 38-year-old Alicia Wilemon-Sullivan of Florida.

In court records filed last week, Cass County sheriff's investigators said Stubbendieck reported Wilemon-Sullivan had killed herself and he led them to her body Aug. 5 in a wooded area by the west end of town.

Investigators believe Stubbendieck and Wilemon-Sullivan arranged for her to fly to Nebraska from her home near Orlando to commit suicide Aug. 1, according to an affidavit for his arrest.

The two had texted about her death, and Wilemon-Sullivan left her children with a friend and said she was going on vacation to Key West, the affidavit said.

Stubbendieck believed his girlfriend of one and half years had stage four cancer in the lymph nodes in her neck, armpits and stomach, investigators said in court documents. 

But a pathologist didn't report finding any tumors or cancerous masses inside her body during the autopsy, the affidavit said.

Instead the autopsy found several deep cuts on her wrists along with painkillers, morphine and alcohol in her system, the affidavit said.

Investigators believe Stubbendieck accompanied Wilemon-Sullivan Aug. 1 to Schramm State Park near the Platte River but they saw a park worker so they returned to Weeping Water.

They walked into the woods to an area called Acapulco Lake around 2 p.m., and he remained with her as she slit her wrists several times over the course of the day, investigators wrote in the affidavit.

They believe he tried to suffocate her twice while she was sleeping, but she appeared to be suffering so he stopped, the affidavit said.

She was still able to whisper when he left her around 9:30 p.m.

He returned the next afternoon and found her dead, but Stubbendieck didn't call the sheriff's office until three days later, the affidavit said.

Originally, officials believe the two agreed he wouldn't tell anyone about her death until five or six months later.

Stubbendieck was charged Oct. 10. Court records do not show he has an attorney.

He remained at the Cass County jail in Plattsmouth Monday.

In Nebraska, assisting suicide is punishable by up to two years in prison or a $10,000 fine.

Wilemon-Sullivan's family has not returned messages from the Journal Star.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach the writer at 402-473-2657 or rjohnson@journalstar.com.

On Twitter @LJSRileyJohnson.



Riley Johnson reports on local government in Lincoln.

Load comments