Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
House fire across from Havelock fire station displaces Lincoln family
0 Comments
editor's pick alert

House fire across from Havelock fire station displaces Lincoln family

  • Updated
  • 0
House fire

House fire at 5930 Benton St.

A family of six was displaced by a Tuesday morning fire at their home in Havelock after an improperly discarded cigarette ignited a blaze outside the home, a Lincoln fire official said.

A passer-by and resident from the home at 5930 Benton St. ran to Lincoln Fire and Rescue's Station 5 to report the blaze, Battalion Chief Leo Benes said.

The fire station is across the street from the home.

Crews got the fire under control within 15 minutes, Benes said. Five of the six residents were able to get out of the home, but a sixth needed to be helped out by firefighters. 

No one was injured. 

The single-story home sustained extensive fire damage on the deck and exterior of the home, Benes said.

Inside the home, there was some smoke and heat damage, estimated at $10,000. 

The American Red Cross was assisting the residents in finding somewhere to stay, he said. 

 

0 Comments
0
0
0
0
0

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Local government reporter

Riley Johnson reports on local government in Lincoln.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News

Husker News