{{featured_button_text}}

Pershing Elementary School students and staff spent part of Friday morning in the gym after hazmat crews detected carbon monoxide in the northeast Lincoln school's boiler room.

Staff noticed and reported an unusual smell in the school at 6402 Judson St. shortly after 9 a.m., evacuated the school and called Lincoln Fire and Rescue, Principal Jamie Cook wrote in an email sent to parents.

When Lincoln Fire and Rescue hazmat crews arrived, they didn't detect any natural gas leaking and found no carbon monoxide in the classrooms or common areas, Battalion Chief Jim Bopp said.

After spending 20 minutes outside, students and staff were directed to wait in the gym as crews continued inspecting the building and ventilated the carbon monoxide from the boiler room, Bopp said.

Students were allowed to return to classes shortly after 10:20 a.m.

"Our custodial staff will continue to monitor the carbon monoxide levels," Cook said in the letter.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach the writer at 402-473-2657 or rjohnson@journalstar.com.

On Twitter @LJSRileyJohnson.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments