{{featured_button_text}}

Lincoln Fire and Rescue crews responded Saturday evening to a fire at an apartment complex at 22nd and J streets. 

Upon arrival just after 7:15 p.m., crews encountered heavy smoke and flames coming from the second floor and attic of the complex and all residents were evacuated safely, according to Battalion Chief Dave Engler.

He said crews contained the fire within the hour after entering through the apartment windows.

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

The fire was caused by a resident trying to burn the frayed ends of a rug, Engler said.

The second floor was deemed a total loss and the fire caused a total of $177,000 in damage, displacing all of the complex's residents.

Lincoln police ticketed the resident on suspicion of negligent burning.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach the writer at 402-473-7214 or eclopton@journalstar.com.

0
0
0
1
0

Load comments