Try 1 month for 99¢

Police have re-arrested Rashaun C. Jones after finding marijuana, scales and cash inside the north Lincoln home he shared with Davonnis Wilkinson, who was shot and critically wounded late Sunday, a police department spokeswoman said Wednesday. 

Wilkinson, 25, remained hospitalized with life-threatening injuries Wednesday afternoon. 

Jones, 27, called 911 at 11:59 p.m. Sunday to report the shooting. When police arrived and began to investigate, a neighbor at the Fairfield West Apartments complex told them she had witnessed Jones punch Wilkinson in the face more than four hours earlier, according to police.

Jones was arrested then and charged with third-degree domestic assault in connection with the alleged punch.

Police have not publicly accused Jones of being involved in the shooting, but have said Jones, Wilkinson and three of the couple's five children were the only people there when officers arrived.

Jones was being held in jail on a $25,000 bond for the assault change when police re-arrested him on the drug allegation. 

Officer Angela Sands said investigators searching the home after the shooting found 2.5 ounces of marijuana in Jones' room and elsewhere in the house, along with two digital scales and $500 in suspected drug money.

He was cited on suspicion of possessing marijuana with intent to deliver. Charges had not been filed as of Wednesday afternoon, and a judge ordered Jones to be held in jail without bond pending a court appearance Thursday.

Family and friends of Wilkinson held a candlelight vigil for her Tuesday night at Oak Lake and described her as a beautiful person, outgoing and devoted to her family. 

All of her children are 5 years old or younger. 

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.



Riley Johnson reports on breaking news and public safety issues in Lincoln and southeast Nebraska.

Load comments