Try 1 month for 99¢

An overturned candle sparked a fire late Wednesday night that killed an 84-year-old Lincoln man, city Fire Inspector Chuck Schweitzer said.

Jerry L. Snyder died in the fire at 1930 S. 44th St. Two of the four dogs rescued from the home also died.

Spokeswoman Nancy Crist said a neighbor reported "flames showing from windows" and that Lincoln Fire and Rescue crews saw smoke and fire visible upon arrival at the home after 11 p.m.

The victim and his dogs were found inside the home and taken out, Crist said in a news release, after crews "initially attacked (the fire from the) exterior, then advanced into the home for fire attack and search and rescue." 

The home did not have a smoke detector, Schweitzer said. Investigators determined the candle sparked combustibles in a first-flood bedroom, causing the fire. Damage is estimated at $100,000 to the home and contents.

Snyder, who was a lawyer in Lincoln, is survived by three daughters, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

His son, Kelly Snyder, and wife, Ruthann Snyder, died last summer, according to their obituaries. 

His death marks the first fire fatality in Lincoln this year.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach the writer at 402-473-2657 or rjohnson@journalstar.com.

On Twitter @LJSRileyJohnson.

Reporter

Riley Johnson reports on breaking news and public safety issues in Lincoln and southeast Nebraska.

Load comments