Try 1 month for 99¢

A Lincoln judge sent a 47-year-old man to prison Thursday for a caught-on-video rape of an intoxicated 25-year-old woman in a Haymarket bar last year, calling his crime "horrifying."

"That woman was like a rag doll. A rag doll," Lancaster County District Judge Lori Maret told Moses Childs Jr. before sentencing him to as close to the 20-year max as she could. "She was completely unconscious."

Maret, a former prosecutor, said Childs' case was unlike any other she's seen. Crimes of this nature usually are left to the victim's description, foggy at best, when the victim was incapacitated.

In this case, there was a video.

On Aug. 30, 2017, employees at JJ Hooligan's, 311 N. Eighth St., got there to find closing duties hadn't been completed and the office in disarray.

When they watched the surveillance video, they saw what they believed was a sexual assault and called police.

The woman told police she didn't remember anything that happened in the bar's office. Police say she was unconscious for a "good portion" of the sexual assault, which lasted more than 30 minutes.

Childs told police the encounter was consensual.

"I know that it's the prosecutor's job to seek out things that make me look bad in the court of law. And I've made a lot of mistakes, but I'm not a bad person," he told the judge.

Childs said he took full responsibility "for his part in the sexual encounter."

He called it a very embarrassing and humiliating situation and apologized to his wife for breaking their vows. He said he had a few drinks that night and knew the woman at the bar had, too, but he didn't realize how drunk she was getting.

"I made a mistake," Childs said.

His attorney, Stephen Kraft, said Childs had been in prison for 13 years and had gotten out two years before this incident.

"Society has changed a lot in that time," he said. "What is cause for the concern is … when does consent stop when you start a consensual sexual encounter?"

Kraft said when Childs saw the video he realized he crossed the line and pleaded no contest to attempted first-degree sexual assault.

Deputy Lancaster County Attorney Charles Byrd said Childs hadn't taken responsibility for his actions or shown remorse.

"The video … speaks for itself," he said, calling Childs a danger to the community.

Maret balked at Kraft's suggestion that Childs had been locked up so long that he hadn't been exposed to the evolving respect for women in this country.

"What I viewed on that videotape would not have been OK 30 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago or today," the judge said. "What you did to her was a crime."

She said she didn't know if she had a word for what she viewed on that video.

"It was horrifying," Maret said. "And if you think in any way that this victim participated willingly at any stage … then you have something seriously wrong with your thought process."

She sentenced Childs to 19 years and 10 months to 20 years. Twenty years was the most she could give him under the plea deal with the state, which Maret called generous.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach the writer at 402-473-7237 or lpilger@journalstar.com.

On Twitter @LJSpilger.

Reporter

Lori Pilger is a public safety reporter.

Comments disabled.