Try 1 month for 99¢
Platte Avenue fire

A fire torched two units at a Havelock storage rental business early Thursday and caused $70,000 in damage, a Lincoln Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said.

A fire torched two units at a Havelock storage rental business early Thursday and caused $70,000 in damage, a Lincoln Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said.

The fire at 5960 Platte Ave. broke out just before 7:50 a.m., Firefighter-Paramedic Nancy Crist said.

One of the renters had been running a space heater in the unit and was smoking while inside, Crist said.

The exact cause of the fire, though, couldn't be determined because the storage building was unstable and unsafe to enter, she said.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach the writer at 402-473-2657 or rjohnson@journalstar.com.

On Twitter @LJSRileyJohnson.

Reporter

Riley Johnson reports on breaking news and public safety issues in Lincoln and southeast Nebraska.

Load comments