Lincoln Fire and Rescue crews responded to a fire at an apartment complex near Ninth and Washington streets just after 5 p.m. Sunday.
The fire began on the top floor of a three-story apartment building located at 825 Washington Street, according to Battalion Chief Jeremy Gegg.
Crews discovered black smoke coming from the building upon arrival, but they were able to get the fire under control within 12 minutes, Gegg said.
No one was inside the apartment when the fire started, and all residents in the building at the time were safely evacuated. The resident of the apartment where the fire originated will be displaced, according to city fire inspector Damon Robbins, but all other residents were able to return to their apartments Sunday evening.
Robbins said the fire was caused by an electric stove-top being left on accidentally.
The noise of the smoke detectors alerted residents in other apartment units to contact authorities, Robbins said.
The fire caused a total of $25,000 damage.