Make sure your Halloween is not only fun, but safe with these tips from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services:
• Wear flame-resistant costumes - Don’t walk near lit candles or luminaries. Keep jack-o’-lanterns with candles away from doorsteps and walkways, and consider using glow sticks instead of candles.
• Maintain clear vision – Wear well-fitting masks, costumes and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips and falls.
• Be seen – Use reflective tape on costumes and bags. Carry glow sticks or flashlights to be more visible to drivers and others.
• Trick or treat together – Older kids who are going trick-or-treating with friends should stick to a predetermined route, while young children should go with a trusted adult. Never enter a stranger’s home.
• Be present – Put electronic devices down. Keep heads up. And walk, don't run, across the street.
• Save your treats – parents should examine candy and treats to make sure they are sealed and show no signs of tampering.
• Use extra caution – When driving, slow down and watch for people walking on roadways, medians and curbs.
Watch out for zombies.
Beware of werewolves.
Steer clear of vampires.
Stay safe and have fun!
Like these tips? Follow DHHS on Facebook and Twitter.