The historic Brandeis Mansion, 500 S. 38th St. in Omaha, is this year's Designer Showhouse, presented by The American Society of Interior Designers Nebraska/Iowa Chapter together with Joslyn Castle Trust. It is open through Oct. 4.
The home, owned by Al and Delores Maser, was designed in 1904 by Detroit architect Albert Kahn in the Jacobethan Revival style. At that time, no expense was spared on exterior finishing or interior detailing.
Twenty-five professionally designed spaces in the 9,500-square-foot home are open to the public.
"The grandeur of yesterday will be combined with the modern conveniences of today," said Mark Maser, who has overseen the home's transformation.
Tickets are $12.50 in advance at area Hy-Vee Food Stores and on the Web at www.OmahaDesignerShowhouse.com, or $15 at the door. The ticket allows entry into the Designer Showhouse. It is open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The ticket also allows a free tour of the Joslyn Castle through December.
Proceeds from this year's showhouse will benefit the preservation and restoration of the Joslyn Castle building and grounds.
While viewing the showhouse, attendees can enjoy the following events for free:Wine tastings by Ironstone Wines on Monday through Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Designer-Led Tours on Monday through Wednesday at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.
- Meet the Designers on Thursdays from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Former Brandeis Employee Day on Sept. 23 from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Nell Hill's Mary Carol Garrity on Oct. 1 from 5 to 7 p.m.
In addition, showhouse ticket holders can purchase tickets online for the following events:
- Dinner parties under the backyard tent Friday and Saturday evenings from 7 to 10 p.m. $30.
- Sunday jazz brunch from 11 to 2 p.m. $15.
- Sunday Sundaes from 3 to 5 p.m. $2.50.
- Saturday neighborhood tours at 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
- Scotch tasting Sept. 25 from 5 to 7 p.m. $35.
- Mother/Daughter Manners & More on Sept. 27 from 3 to 5 p.m. $40.
- Riedel glass wine tasting event Sept. 30 from 7 to 9 p.m. $40.
- A Tour of Toast and Tabletop! Oct. 3, 10 a.m., noon, 2 p.m., 5 p.m. $35.
Complete information on these events is available at www.OmahaDesigner
Showhouse.com or by calling (402) 208-9910.