Some milestones in the history of Lincoln's largest indoor mall
1956: Bankers Life Nebraska (now Ameritas), announces plans for a $6 million shopping center at 60th and O streets.
1960: Gateway Shopping Center opens.
1971: Extended enclosure added, linking Sears store east of the mall to the main wing. More than 200,000 square feet and 4,000 parking spaces are added.
1985: Bankers Life Nebraska sells the shopping center to Jacobs Visconsi Jacobs (later The Richard E. Jacobs Group) of Cleveland.
1995: New J.C. Penney store opens at Gateway, capping another expansion. The retailer had made a temporary home in the former Hinky Dinky store north of the mall.
2000: Montgomery Ward store closes, leaving a 110,000-square-foot vacancy.
2001: Richard E. Jacobs Group reaches a deal to sell Gateway and nine other shopping centers to Westfield America Trust.
2005: Westfield spends more than $45 million on mall renovations.
2012: Westfield announces plans to sell Gateway to Starwood Capital Group.
Source: Journal Star archives.