Twenty-nine creatively decorated table settings, assembled by Nebraska interior designers and business owners, highlighted Friends of Lied’s Table Inspirations fundraiser March 19 and 20 at the Lied Center for Performing Arts.
Nearly 700 people attended the event, which raised approximately $35,000 to support Lied Center programming and educational outreach across Nebraska.
This year’s theme, “California Dreamin,’” was chosen in honor of guest speaker Joey Lizotte of Artisan Event Floral Décor in Palm Springs, California. Lizotte shared inspirational and often humorous stories and photos from some of the most memorable weddings and events that he helped design.
Lizotte’s art and work has been featured in national and local publications such as “The Knot,” “California Wedding Day,” “Style Me Pretty,” “Palm Springs Life,” “Brides Magazine,” “Martha Stewart Weddings” and others.
The event began March 19 with a “Cocktails and Conversation” reception on both the Orchestra Lobby and Balcony Lobby levels. Guests viewed the decorated tables while listening to acoustical duo Tom and Wes. Traci Carlson Catering provided hors d’oeuvres with wine and beer pairings from Meier’s Cork ‘n Bottle.
On March 20 the designer table tour continued, and guests placed their bids on silent auction items before hearing Lizotte provide table decorating tips and tricks in the Lied Center Auditorium. A luncheon catered by Yes Chef followed on the Lied Center’s main stage.
Table setting design winners
The tables were judged on use of the “California Dreamin’” theme, creativity, originality and overall aesthetics. Judges were Taryn Vanderford, Liz Shea McCoy and Lizotte. The 2019 winners were:
- Best of Lincoln: “The Gold Rush” by I Bloom. “Immediately scraping the normal thoughts of California, we landed on the juxtaposition of mining for gold and the shiny metal itself,” said I Bloom owner Natalie Elsberry in describing her winning table design.
- Best of Lincoln Honorable Mention: “Boho/California Flower Child” by Paper Kite. “This children’s table was inspired by San Francisco’s boho flower children. Peace and love!” said Paper Kite owner Meg Hasselbalch.
- People’s Choice: Shopping Tripps of Kearney.
- Best of Omaha: Iddy Biddy Boo Design. Honorable Mention: Ou La La Design.
- Best of Greater Nebraska: Burwell Floral. Honorable Mention: Crete Floral.
Table Inspirations is a fundraiser coordinated by the Friends of Lied. Co-chairs were Kylee Roberts of Lincoln and Amy Holthus of York.