“Opera Royalty: Kings, Queens, & Tyrants” was the theme of the Oct. 23 Friends of Opera (FOO) annual Gala. With attendance at 120, including student performers from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln School of Opera, the evening was memorable in every way.
Staged at the Nebraska Club with its mesmerizing views of the city, the venue included a live auction, numerous drawings for wine and wonderful performances by UNL opera students.
The event raised over $20,000, which will be used to enhance the UNL opera program, support development of young talent through scholarships and foster appreciation and attendance at opera productions.
• Financial support for the “Amahl and the Night Visitors” project, which gives fifth-graders in Lincoln’s Title I schools the opportunity to attend an opera.
• Three annual scholarships to talented incoming freshman students considering enrollment in UNL’s opera program.
• Subsidies for guest artists, conductors, composers and vocal coaches at UNL.
• A scholarship to the National Council Metropolitan Opera Nebraska District auditions.
• Contributions to UNL opera department's annual budget.
Since Friends of Opera has been a part of UNL’s opera program, five productions have won national and international awards.
For more information or to join FOO, visit friendsofopera.org or follow on Facebook.