First, an injury update.
Running backs Tre Bryant (knee) and Mikale Wilbon (ankle) were both out Tuesday, with Wilbon at one point sporting a walking cast.
Meanwhile, senior safety Joshua Kalu (hamstring) and cornerback Chris Jones (knee) both practiced in full pads. Senior wide receiver De'Mornay Pierson-El, who head coach Mike Riley said Monday has just been generally banged up, wore a green non-contact jersey Tuesday.
Right tackles David Knevel and Matt Farniok each practiced.
Senior outside linebacker Marcus Newby (hamstring) also returned to practice.
* Defensive coordinator Bob Diaco said Jones, who tore his meniscus in July, has impressed the past two days, but tried to temper enthusiasm.
"I try not to get overly excited just because we as an organization don't want to put any undue pressure on him, but he looks really good. Big, fast, smart. Making the right choices, stayed in his books. The hand signals, the calls, the process, the checks, the things in play that might take a little while to connect the dots, he's doing a nice job."
Asked if Jones might be ready to play, Diaco said, "It's really entirely up to him. I don't have an opinion on that. I think the whole team is just letting him drive his own timing and tempo."
* Defensive coordinator Bob Diaco said Wisconsin didn't look a whole lot different than his playing days at Iowa in the mid-1990s.
"Wisconsin, as everybody knows, they're a championship organization," he said. "They know who they are on offense. They know who they are in recruiting. ... Everybody knows their job, big, tackle-breaking runners, excellent tight ends. It's a strong offense."
* Diaco said of the UW tight ends, "I think you'd be hard-pressed to find better tight ends in the league than them," and highlighted junior Zander Neuville, who he said last week looked really good in an expanded role with preseason All-American Troy Fumagalli sidelined with a leg injury.
* Cornerbacks coach Donte Williams called his group's collective play against the run so far this season average and said it must improve this weekend against UW.
* Devine Ozigbo said that, with Wilbon and Bryant out missing practice, the four backs taking rotations were him, freshman Jaylin Bradley and reserves Wyatt Mazour and Austin Rose.