The Nebraska Court of Appeals has upheld the conviction of an Omaha man serving 14 to 22 years in prison for killing another man.
Carl Heng was convicted last year in Douglas County of manslaughter and a weapons count in the Aug. 24, 2015, shooting death of 25-year-old Robert Lane. Heng acknowledged shooting Lane, but argued it was in self-defense. Prosecutors said Lane was unarmed and not posing a threat to Heng.
On appeal, Heng claimed, among other things, that his trial court was wrong to exclude expert testimony and that there had not been sufficient evidence to convict him.
Tuesday, the appeals court said Heng's claims were without merit and that there was sufficient evidence to support the jury's conclusion that Heng did not act in self-defense.