It’s orange cone and barricade season across Lincoln as the city begins work on the 60-plus street, sidewalk and bikeway projects planned for the 2015 construction period.
The city plans to improve about 24 miles of arterial streets, more than 100 blocks of neighborhood streets and 385,000 sidewalk squares -- the equivalent of about 258 blocks -- over the next five and a half months.
That makes 2015 a bigger-than-average street construction year, according to Thomas Shafer, with the city’s Department of Public Works and Utilities.
The city has more money this year -- about $10 million in additional funds for street construction and maintenance money left over from the Antelope Valley Project.
The city will spend more than $52.5 million on street projects this year. More than half comes from the city's wheel tax.
Major projects affecting motorists this construction season:
* Northwest 48th Street from Vine to Adams, major roadway reconstruction. At the same time, the state is widening Interstate 80 from U.S. 77 to Northwest 56th Street, including an overhaul of the Northwest 48th Street interchange.
* Holdrege Street from 88th to 148th, led by Lancaster County, repair and resurfacing.
* Cornhusker Highway from West Adams to I-180, airport entryway corridor rehab, started last year.
* 98th Street from Waterford Estates Drive to Holdrege, developer-led roadway construction.
* Old Cheney Road from 70th to 82nd, finishing major reconstruction.
* South 56th Street from Shadow Pines to Old Cheney, widening to four lanes.
* Van Dorn Street from 33rd to 48th, road rehabilitation and adding turn lanes.
* South 70th Street from Van Dorn to Eastborough, pavement repair.
* Sheridan Boulevard penny bridges, replacement.
* West Van Dorn Street from Southwest 84th to South Coddington, repairs and resurfacing led by county.
* South 70th Street from Saltillo Road to Pine Lake Road, repairs and resurfacing led by county.
Downtown and midtown
* 27th and O streets intersection, pavement replacement and repairs.
* Ninth/10th streets and Van Dorn, concrete replacement and repairs.
* N Street protected bikeway.
Other major streets scheduled for repair work or spot repair and crack sealing this year:
* Superior Street from Technology Drive to 27th; 27th Street from Nebraska 2 to Woods Boulevard; 27th Street from Alpha to Holdrege; 27th Street from Fletcher to I-80; 84th Street from Elizabeth to Market; Old Cheney Road from Warlick to 40th; Normal Boulevard from 33rd to 56th; South 56th Street from South to Normal; South Street from Normal to 42nd; West O Street from Northwest 28th to North Third.
Intersections scheduled for improvements:
* 66th and Fremont, mini roundabout; U.S. 34 and West Fletcher/First Street; 33rd and Superior; 16th and Old Cheney; 84th and O.
For a complete list of projects and street closures for the week, put “street projects” in the search line of the city's website: lincoln.ne.gov.