A freshly smoked cigarette, discarded by a person tasked with house sitting, started a fire that resulted in $90,000 in damages to a Lincoln home and its contents.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue responded just after 3:30 p.m. Tuesday to 2301 Greenspire Circle. Firefighters found fire on the back deck, climbing the back wall and in the attic, LFR Battalion Chief Jeanne Pashalek said.

Firefighters knocked the flames down within five minutes of arriving and declared the fire under control within 15 minutes, Pashalek said. They cut at least five holes in the roof for ventilation and ripped down ceilings inside the house.

City Fire Inspector Roger Chapp said someone was watching the house while the owners were in Cancun, and that person had a guest. One of those people left a cigarette in a shallow ashtray. It was blown from the ashtray onto the deck, where it started the fire.

Chapp estimated $60,000 in damages done to the structure and $30,000 to contents.

Two firefighters reported minor injuries, one heat related and the other a pulled muscle, Pashalek said.

 

Correction

Only one person was tasked with watching the house at 2301 Greenspire Circle when a fire started there Tuesday. An earlier version of this story indicated that two people were house sitting, when in fact one person was a guest.