House Fire

Firefighters investigate after putting out a house fire in the 800 block of North 56th Street on Saturday.

A woman was taken to a hospital after a house fire Saturday night.

Firefighters were called to the 800 block of North 56th Street just after 7 p.m. on reports of a house on fire, Battalion Chief Leo Benes said. Police found the home's resident at a neighbor's house and transported her to a hospital for evaluation. She was the only person in the home at the time of the fire.

Neighbors Bill and Belinda England said they heard a loud bang before their neighbor knocked on their door asking them to call 911. When they looked outside, they saw flames pouring from the structure.

"It was scary watching it go up in flames so fast like that," Belinda England said.

A food dehydrator in the garage caught fire and extended to the house, causing an estimated $225,000 in damage. Fire investigator Rick Campos said the family had been using the dehydrator to make deer jerky.

Benes said the home had "hoarder-like conditions" and the significant amount of items inside may make the investigation more difficult.

Reporting intern

Tess Williams is a reporting intern.

Load comments