A fire started by a stove pipe in a northeast Lincoln storage unit building Monday evening caused about $15,000 in damage, fire officials said.

Two men working on a car at the storage building -- just northeast of 6200 N. 56th St. -- smelled smoke and saw flames coming from a nearby unit and called 911 just before 7 p.m., Lincoln fire investigator Chuck Schweitzer said.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Eric Jones said crews arrived at the units just before 7 p.m. and saw smoke and flames coming from the building.

The fire started in the stove pipe of a stove that was too close to the roof, which was made from combustible materials, Schweitzer said.

Firefighters had the fire knocked down within 9 minutes and under control within a half hour, Jones said.

Witnesses told fire crews that no one was in the storage unit at the time of the fire, he said.

Schweitzer estimated the damage to the building at $10,000 with another $5,000 damage to contents inside the unit.

Reach the writer at 402-473-2657 or rjohnson@journalstar.com. On Twitter @LJSRileyJohnson.

Reporter

Riley Johnson reports on breaking news and public safety issues in Lincoln and southeast Nebraska.

Load comments