35th and D fire

Firefighters responded to a house fire at 35th and D streets in which two men were injured Thursday.

The smoke detector inside a central Lincoln home wasn't working Thursday morning when an electrical fire broke out and left one resident with life-threatening injuries, fire officials said.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue crews found the man inside a back room on the first floor of 1045 S. 35th St. after the fire started around 6:30 a.m., Battalion Chief Jeremy Gegg said.

That man, whom Gegg described as elderly, was taken to the hospital, as was another man who lived there but suffered less serious injuries.

A third resident who escaped the fire did not need treatment, Lincoln Fire Investigator Damon Robbins said.

Firefighters brought the fire under control within about 30 minutes, Gegg said.

Electrical failures inside an outlet and power strip connected to it sparked the fire, which fire crews contained to a corner of a first-floor room, Robbins said.

The strip had been covered by something and overheated, he said.

Still, the fire caused enough heat and smoke damage to the home that it's likely a total loss, Robbins said.

He estimated damage to the home at $145,000. The two-story home built in 1929 is valued for tax purposes at $67,100.

The house's only smoke detector, which was on the second floor, was missing a battery, Robbins said.


Riley Johnson reports on breaking news and public safety issues in Lincoln and southeast Nebraska.

Load comments