My mother-in-law was worried about Vanessa Flowers.
As were others last week, who flooded my email asking about the evening anchor at Lincoln CBS affiliate KOLN-KGIN-TV.
Did she leave? Was she fired? Was she on vacation? Was she demoted? Where the heck was she?
After all, she just celebrated her one-year anniversary since taking over for Serese Cole, who jumped to mornings on sister station WOWT, Omaha’s NBC affiliate.
Flowers is alive and well.
You can see her anchoring KOLN’s noon and 5 p.m. newscasts.
Her move is part of a reshuffle of the station’s resources, according to general manager Jason Effinger.
Other changes include:
* Bridget Fargen now anchoring the 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts with Dave Roberts.
* Jon Vanderford leaving the noon newscast. He will continue to co-anchor the First at Four 4 p.m. newscast with his wife, Taryn. He also is executive producer of KOLN’s half-hour feature “Pure Nebraska,” which airs at 12:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays on MyTV (Time Warner Cable digital channel 999).
* All anchors providing content for KOLN’s mobile and online products in addition to reporting for TV newscasts.
“As the demand grows (for news), we are trying to grow with it,” said Effinger, who noted KOLN’s staff has grown 35 percent since 2009.
Around the dial
* James Kyhn, known to Lincoln radio listeners as James Pond, has left Froggy 98 (KFGE 98.1 FM) to become program director and afternoon host at rival country radio station KX 96.9 (KZKX 96.9 FM).
Kyhn had been at Froggy since 2000, where he also served as music director. This is a promotion for him.
He takes over for Mike Scott, who was let go by parent company Three Eagles Communications less than three months after he was brought in from Detroit. Scott said Three Eagles management told him it was for budgetary reasons.
* Froggy 98’s morning show, “Gary, Nelson and Kellie,” is one of five finalists for the Country Music Association’s Small Market Personality of the Year.
Froggy’s morning show features Gary Greenwood, Josh Nelson and Kellie Wesslund.
The CMA Broadcast winners will be notified in mid-October and recognized at the 46th annual CMA Awards on Nov. 1.